Could It Be a Water Slab Leak? How to Tell and What to Do?
Slab leaks can be very dangerous for your property. That is why you should always pay close attention to its signs. In order to get 100% accurate detection, you need to hire a professional plumbing or slab leak repair company. Nevertheless, you can always look at signs and make a good guess about slab leaks. This blog will tell you how to identify a slab leak and what to do afterward.
What is a slab leak, and how dangerous is it?
A slab leak occurs when the pipes underneath your floors are leaking. It is a dangerous type of leak because when it goes undetected for a long time, it causes extensive water damage.
If the leaking water does not have a path, it might cause water damage and leaks to walls and flooring and cause mold and mildew infestations. You can understand that it has the potential to create situations that will demand the restoration of your flooring, walls, and even cabinets. Also, since the water is continuously leaking, your utility bills will be through the roof.
A slab leak is one of the worst plumbing problems you can have. We recommend immediate action. Hire a plumbing or slab leak repair expert to accurately detect the causes of the slab leak and repair it. Prolonging it may cause extensive damage.
What causes a slab leak?
Slab leaks can be caused by a great number of things. They are:
- Faulty Installations
- Cracks in Pipe
- Molds in Pipes
- Damage underneath the slabs
- The material used in the pipe
- Property location and temperature of the area
Since there are so many variables for slab leaks, only good plumbers can find out the exact reason for it and permanently repair them. Other than that, the problem will certainly come back after a while.
What are the signs of a slab leak?
There are common telltale signs you can always look for. These are:
- Your flooring is hot. Usually, if you have a leak in your hot water-carrying pipes underneath the floor, it will feel hot. Since a lot of hot water is being wasted, it may cause your water heater to run almost constantly. So if your water heater is constantly running, you should check the floors for a possible slab leak.
- High water bills are certainly worrying. If your water bills are constantly higher than your regular while your usage has not increased, it might indicate a leak. Pay close attention to your water bill. If one month’s bill is very high or several months together are showing unpredictable signs, call up a plumber to check for a leak.
- If your floors or carpet are damp, it might indicate a slab leak. Since the leaked water has nowhere to go, it creates a humid environment underneath, resulting in damp floors.
- If the leak is very severe, it can damage the floors. The damaged floors create a dome-type shape due to the water pressure. If you notice signs of damaged floors, it might be due to a slab leak.
- Low water pressure indicates a severe leak in the plumbing system. Leak basically means that there is always running water on one side of the property resulting in constant low pressure on the other side of the house. If you have low water pressure, it might be for a hidden slab leak.
How do you fix a slab leak?
Repairing a slab leak requires proper planning and method. Every property is built differently; therefore, it needs to be properly assessed before deciding on anything. Besides that, you ought to know the real reason behind a slab leak and its location. With every consideration in mind, it is always better to hire a Slab Leak Specialist for detection and repair.
How do you find a leak under the floor?
You can hire a slab leak detection company for reliable detection. Good companies will have a fast response time and adequate equipment. Plumbers will start by trying to find the source of the leak. If you have identified the signs already, you can give them a head start.
How can you tell where a water leak is coming from?
The video camera inspection is a very popular method to identify the leak. Listening discs are used to narrow down the area of the leak. Leaks that are in the sewer lines or mainline might need some other methods, such as using a soil probe. Thermal imaging cameras are also a popular choice for finding out leaks in the hot water line. The bottom line is slab leak specialists will use multiple methods and equipment to assess the size and the nature of the leak.
How do you fix the plumbing under a slab? There is an easy solution. You have to reroute the pipe. In pipe rerouting, a new plumbing line is created, and the old one is abandoned.
If the leak is in a hard-to-reach place, it is often a good choice to avoid digging altogether and instead create a new line. New water supply lines are created through the walls or attic. Rerouting sewer lines in slab foundations remains a popular choice because you do not have to dig your floors. If your floors are expensive, this might be the ideal choice for you.
A new tunnel is created from outside the house to reach the leaking pipe. If your house is suitable for tunneling, you can go for this option. Tunneling is a safer option for your floors, but tunneling itself can become time-consuming. It is always better to hire slab leak repair teams with experience in quick tunneling.
Breaking the slabs
How do you fix a leak under the slab when no tunneling or rerouting can take place? There is a very direct approach to the problem. If there is no way to dig a tunnel or re-route, you have to break the slabs. Now it does not always have to be a messy process. If you can hire the right slab leak repair company, they can keep the mess contained. They will usually take the necessary precautions so that it is safe and easier to clean afterward.
Trenchless pipe repair
Broken water lines can be repaired without digging or tunneling. A new coating of epoxy is applied inside the old pipe, which hardens in a few hours and seals the leak. Corrosion, holes, or cracks in the pipe can be repaired in this way easily. However, this is not a bullet-proof method as epoxy lining may not adhere to the pipe.
Call your insurance company.
It is a good idea to call your insurance as soon as you notice the signs. They often cover slab leaks. Even if they do not cover it, they will not be able to nullify your claims in the future on this ground. No matter what type of plumbing problem you have, you should call your insurance company as fast as possible.
Why hire EZ Plumbing And Restoration?
A good slab leak repair company will help you a lot. EZ plumbing and Restoration is such a company. We have licensed and experienced plumbers available 24/7. They will assess and repair your slab leak in no time. Our slab leak packages are customizable and very affordable for every type of property. Call us for emergency slab leak services or schedule a meeting.